Due to severe conditions caused by the pandemic, the students have been badly hit. Right from academic courses to career courses, students are the worst affected. The examinations for ICSE, CBSE, and the State Board exams have been a mess. These institutions have, somehow completed the evaluation process and have declared the results as well. But that is not at all good for the examinees that are supposed to appear in the JEE and NEET exams this year.
As per the declared schedules, the Joint Entrance Examinations 2020 is scheduled to be held from September 1 to September 6, 2020, whereas the proposed date for National Eligibility and Entrance Test (NEET) 2020 is supposed to be held on September 13, 2020. In a recent development, the students have started a media online campaign, named #PostponeJEE_NEETSept, right on the day when the Supreme Court of India heard the pleas against UGC guidelines for the exams.
Though the demands for the postponement of the scheduled exams are rising higher and higher, the National Testing Agency (NTA), the conducting body of both the esteemed career exams, has come up with no updates so far. The decision of the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) is also awaited. Worth mentioning, the MHRD is all set to be renamed as the Ministry of Education (MoE).
While hearing the government’s stand on the exams, the apex court adjourned the matter till August 10, 2020. Immediately after this announcement at the Supreme Court of India, the students started the campaign on social media. Speaking to the news reporters, Sandeep Saurav, the National General Secretary of All India Students’ Association (AISA) said, “Exams in any form are a threat during this Covid-19 outbreak. We reject (the) discriminatory mode of education in toto.”
Responding to the developments, the HRD Minister of India, Mr. Ramesh Pokhriyal “Nishank” told the news reporters that the government would come up with the decision soon. However, he said that the government prioritizes the health and safety of the students.
In another development, Anulekha Boosa, the National Secretary of the National Students’ Union of India (NSUI) said, “With India crossing 1.6 million marks in corona cases, the government wants to conduct exams instead of trying to put a full stop to the pandemic. Stop putting a question mark about students’ safety and start working in the best interest of students.” The reactions of the students and their respective organizations/unions, supporting the demand for postponement, are pouring in from all over the country.
Meanwhile, the Karnataka Common Entrance Test or KECT was held on 31 July that was attended by more than 1.47 lakhs students. It is good to mention that the 60 COVID-19 patients also appeared in the KCET.