In a recent development, 1.47 lakhs examines for Karnataka Common Entrance Test, for engineering and medical, appeared in the test held on July 30, 2020. It is noteworthy that these examinees include 60 students who had tested positive for COVID-19. Stating this to the news reporters, Deputy Chief Minister Dr. C N Ashwath Narayan said, “The government took special precautionary measures for those applicants.”

“This year, a total of 1.94 lakhs students had applied for the test but as many as 1.47 lakhs could appear in the first of the three-day test schedule. The tests were held in more than 497 test centers throughout the state.” Intimating the statistics, Narayan, an officer in the higher education portfolio in the state, told the press correspondents. “The 12 COVID positive students belonged to the city. They were given separate sitting arrangements,” added Mr. Narayan.

Briefing to the press, the Deputy Chief Minister of the State said, “The government made elaborate arrangements for the COVID-19 positive students to help them appear for the exam. They were brought to the examination centers, and dropped back to their respective places in the department’s ambulance.” The government took all technical and other necessary assistance from the Department of Public Instruction that conducted the SSLC and the Pre-university examinations smoothly. The assistance was worth mentioning for the smooth arrangements of KCET.

“As per the special arrangements for the KCET, the government made necessary the use of masks and sanitizers. As far as maintaining the social distancing is concerned, the administration had ordered a maximum of 24 students in an examination hall.” added the Deputy Chief Minister. He said, “Abiding by the guidelines of the High Court, Masks, sanitizers, and social distancing was declared mandatory for the students. There are no shortcomings in the arrangements by the government. Students can happily appear for the exam.”

Earlier in the day, the Deputy Chief Minister said, “The Karnataka High Court on Wednesday had rejected the plea for a stay on the exams by petitioners who expressed concern about the smooth conduct of the test would push the candidates to the risk of COVID-19. The court responded to that by laying down guidelines to ensure the safety of the students at any cost.

Intimating the news correspondents, Narayan said, “The government is planning to conduct the whole counseling process for the allotment of seats entirely online. Meanwhile, an invigilator at the Government Dental College at Ballari was seen in personal protection equipment (PPE)covering him completely. Worth-mentioning, five out of 60 COVID positive students expressed their satisfaction over the precautionary measures that the government practiced during the safe conduction of the KCET exam.